Pages

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Prime – Huntington Bay




Perhaps "Prime" was not the "prime choice" for my most recent fine dinning experience. With the elegant atmosphere of a charming modern steakhouse and picturesque views of Huntington Bay, this "American kitchen and bar" certainly played the role of a solid upscale restaurant pick du jour. Unfortunately, the quality of the food did not live up to the expensive prices and stylish decor.

While the wait staff was dynamite, the chefs and bartenders merely could not keep up. Only on occasion do I send back a drink, but my passion fruit cosmo tasted like pure alcohol. However, I greatly appreciated the waiter quickly exchanging the cosmo for an enjoyable glass of sauvignon blanc.






For my main course I selected the beef wellington. While I traditionally order my steak "medium rare," I figured I would play it safe by ordering the wellington "medium," knowing that it is a difficult dish to prepare as the filet mignon is enclosed in a puff pastry. Nevertheless, the filet arrived on my plate raw. Back to the kitchen it went. However, five to seven minutes later I was happily enjoying my wellington. Though not the best I have tasted, the presentation was lovely and it was very tasty. The homemade tater tots on the side were outrageously delectable!




For dessert, I selected the burnt marshmallow atop a warm chocolate cake with coffee ice cream. I requested vanilla ice cream instead of coffee. "No problem!" said our polite and efficient waiter. Of course, the dessert arrived with coffee ice cream. However, it was indeed quickly replaced.

Overall, Prime is a beautiful restaurant with a tasty menu, but frankly, you are not getting the bang for your buck. I give Prime 3 out of 5 mints on the dinner mint scale.
Prime on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment