Pages

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Sushi Ya - Garden City

I ventured to Sushi Ya, a combination hibachi restaurant and sushi bar, with my friend Kensley (not Alex... I know, sadness) on Friday night. I would like to disclose that neither one of us are hardcore sushi lovers, but enjoy Japanese cuisine and sampling different rolls. Kensley also appreciates fresh sashimi.


So what's the story? Well, I had a traditional California roll that was certainly fresh, but reminded me of other LI sushi bars. I also started with miso soup and the traditional salad with ginger dressing. The soup arrived piping hot (points for that!). However, the salad was drenched in the ginger dressing. Needless to say it was one of the first times I was DYING for a citrus sorbet to cleanse my palate.

The presentation as seen in the photo below was nothing to write home about. Kensley selected tuna and salmon. He noted that his meal was tasty, but like me, nothing exquisite. The atmosphere was inviting. Dim lighting and candles helped to set the mood for a fine dining experience, however, the blaring Billy Joel music through me for a loop. Don't get me wrong, I love "Moving Out" just as much as the next Long Islander, but it simply has no place in a so called "trendy" sushi bar on Franklin Avenue.


Alex would have LOVED the chairs!... Super comfy, almost cozy couch-like! The seating was lower to the ground as well, which added to the Asian flare. With regard to pricing... definitely overpriced. I'm quite confident I could have saved 10 bucks EASILY while getting the same quality over in Bethpage or Wantagh.

You may want to save your money and skip this one folks! Alex - You did not miss out. Sushi Ya receives 2 out of 5 Mints on the dinner mint scale.
Sushi Ya on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment